The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption Lavaqueresse, in the department of Aisne, dates from the seventeenth century. Built during a time of a succession of wars, it is a fortified church that could house the surrounding population in times of need. In the choir, we can admire vaults dating from the sixteenth century: they are decorated with floral and royal motifs, which were painted in 1899.
The Abbey of St Sixtus in Westvleteren was founded in 1831. First dependent on Westmalle Abbey, Saint-Sixte was elevated to the rank of an abbey in 1871. This abbey, inhabited by Trappist monks, is famous for its brewery founded in 1838.
The present church is a reconstruction of the former church destroyed in 1918. The only remnant of the pre-1918 church is the statue of the Virgin Mary found in the rubble of the post-World War I ruins. On 9 June 1923, the reconstruction project was accepted and signed by the mayor of Lens. Looking very much like the previous one, its location was moved back several metres as part of the widening of the Place Jean Jaurès. Faced with the risks generated by the mine galleries passing under the city, the structure is no longer made of stone but of reinforced concrete and the walls are thus less thick. The pulpit was inaugurated in 1928 and the large organs were completed in April 1930.
This mosque follows the tradition of the "medina Concept" following the design of the Great Mosque of Medina. The style of the mosque follows Egyptian Mammeluk architecture which features contrasting bluish and grey stone which creates a striped pattern. It consists of three central elements, each of which are domed.
The church of Saint-Pierre Saint-Paul de Guise was almost completely rebuilt in 1535. It underwent numerous modifications during the wars of the 16th century and during the 17th and 18th centuries.
Dating from the 12th century, the building was rebuilt in its entirety during the first half of the 17th century, the choir and the nave around 1620-30, according to a scientific measurement and dating campaign undertaken in 1978.
The Church of Our Lady of Plomion is a fortified church located in Thiérache du Centre, whose foundations date from the 12th-13th centuries. It is located at the heart of the line of defence of the Kingdom of France, marked by the wars of religion.
This church is the only remnant of medieval Rotterdam. This church was buit between the 15th and 16th centuries. It became the first all stone building in Rotterdam. The church was heavily damaged in the blitz of Rotterdam in 1940 and restoration was completed in 1968.
Church belonging to the group of fortified churches of Thiérache. It is the oldest example of fortification using brick.
The Aachen Cathedral, built on the former Palatine Chapel of the Palace of Charlemagne (800-814), is the most important architectural example of the Carolingian Renaissance. The Aachen Cathedral is a heterogeneous structure, influenced by many stylistic epochs, characterized by numerous breaks and extensions. To symbolically anchor their reign in the wake of that of Charlemagne, a large portion of the rulers of the Holy Roman Empire, between 936 and 1531, were crowned here.