The original church of Saint Sebastian was constructed in 1016, with various additions thereafter. The church's modern form took place after renovations in 1953 and 1959. It sustained damage during a fire in the 14th and 15th centuries, and during the thirty-years war.
Magdeburg Cathedral is a symbol of the city. It is the oldest gothic cathedral completed on German soil. It was built in 1207 or 1209 as a cathedral of the Archdiocese of Magdeburg and consecrated in 1363. The cathedral is a funerary church of Otto the Great.
The manor of Scrivelsby is held by a form of tenure which requires the performance of a service rather than a money payment, in this case as the Kings or Queens Champion. The duty of the King's Champion was to challenge anyone who doubted the new monarch's right to the throne. The Champion would throw down his gauntlet to prove he would fight to the death anyone who did.
Fulletby is set high in the Wolds, and was mentioned in the Domesday book. The Grade II listed church of St Andrew, constructed of local greenstone, is essentially modern, with only a 14th century two seater sedilia left from an earlier church.
The beautiful church of St Peter in Great Haseley dates mostly from the 13th and 14th centuries and includes some fine Early English and Decorated features.
Dedicated to St Margaret, this grade II* listed church has been constructed of greenstone, limestone and red brick to create a wonderful patchwork effect that catches the light beautifully in the setting sun.
The first Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1786 in the district known as The Wong or Cagthorpe. It was replaced by a new chapel on the same site in 1806.
The church of St Brice de Courcival was built in the eleventh century. The only remains of the original building are the north wall of the nave and two Romanesque bays. The church was enlarged in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries by the addition of chapels and a bell tower. It was restored in the nineteenth century, and now the church has a single nave with a chancel and two chapels, forming the transept. Inside the building, you can admire a seventeenth century terracotta statue of the Madonna and Child.
Nicholas Leache, rector of Belchford in 1536, was one of the ringleaders in the Lincolnshire Rising in which 3,000 people marched through the county to protest against closure of the monasteries by Henry VIII. After the Rising had been quashed Nicholas Leache along with others was hanged, drawn and quartered at Tyburn for treason.
The creation of this outstanding late Victorian Gothic church was made possible by its patron the local brewer Pickering Phipps, the local architect Matthew Henry Holding and its first incumbent the Revd JR Hussey. It went up remarkably quickly between 1893-5 and with its fine tower topped by a steeple remains a significant land mark in this part of the town.