A Merovingian funerary basilica was built on this site around the 6th and 7th centuries and renovated in the Carolingian period. The Royal Priory of Saint-Martin-des-Champs, Cluny's third daughter, was founded in 1060 and a new building was built on this presumed site of a miracle by Saint Martin. The original plan of the choir probably inspired that of the Basilica of Saint-Denis built a few years later, the church of the Conservatory would constitute the oldest testimony of Parisian Gothic. The abbey was declared a national property in 1790 and since 1798 has housed the new Conservatory of Arts and Crafts created by Abbot Gregory in 1794, whose former abbey church, abandoned for worship, serves as an exhibition room for its museum. The complex was largely refurbished under the July Monarchy and the Second Empire, under the direction of the architect Léon Vaudoyer. The Foucault pendulum has been installed in the choir.
The construction of the Basilica of Saint Genevieve (a decision taken following Louis XV's vow) began in 1756 and was completed in 1790: the foundations were laid between 1756 and 1764 and the first stone was laid in 1764. Jacques-Germain Soufflot was the architect, assisted by Jean-Baptiste Rondelet, site manager, and Maximilien Brébion. After the Revolution, the building was transformed into a temple dedicated to great men and took the name of Pantheon.
The church is part of an old Benedictine royal abbey dating from the 6th century. The building was rebuilt by Abbot Morard in the 10th century. The current choir was built in the middle of the 12th century and consecrated by Pope Alexander III. Conventual buildings successively rebuilt during the 13th century. After the Revolution, the church lost its status as an abbey church to become a parish abbey. Reconstructions carried out between 1821 and 1854. Church classified as a historical monument by list in 1862. Remains of the former abbey classified in 1953. Saint-Germain-des-Prés church is the oldest of the great Parisian churches.
Work began in 1629 at the initiative of Louis XIII who wished to thank the Blessed Virgin for her military victories. This building, created by Pierre Le Muet for the Augustins déchaussés who entrusted him with its construction: it was very slow, due to a lack of funds, and continued with Sébastien Bruand, R. Boudin, then Gabriel Le Duc (1663) until 1740 when it was finished by Cartaud (façade). During the Revolution, the church, deprived of its religious members, became the headquarters of the National Lottery and then the Stock Exchange under the Directory. It was restored to worship in 1802, then erected as a basilica by Pope Pius XI in 1927. A very important devotion to the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary was developed by the creation of an Archconfraternity in the 19th century by Father Desgenettes, parish priest.
The Saint-Sulpice church, built between 1646 and 1870, replaced a 12th century sanctuary. The style chosen for the new church is classicism with many Corinthian elements.
Saint-Étienne-du-Mont Church was built at the end of the 15th century on the site of a 13th-century church, but its rich Renaissance façade was not completed until 1624. Until the French Revolution, the church housed the relics of Sainte Geneviève, patron saint of Paris. The church also houses an organ from the 1630s.
The Great Mosque of Paris is one of the largest mosques in France and the first built on the metropolitan territory. It was inaugurated in 1926 to honour the Muslim soldiers who defended France during the First World War.
According to Saint Gregory of Tours, the church was built on the traces of an ancient road. Indeed, it seems that the base of the bell tower is the oldest vestige. The choir was consecrated in 1429 and six chapels may have been added in 1548. In 1621, the priest Pierre d'Hardivilliers signed a contract for the erection of a gate and, undoubtedly, the completion of the northern collateral. The chapels on the south side were built in 1645, at the same time as a mass grave (cemetery). The vault and roof structure were completed between 1655 and 1660 and the parish was built at the beginning of the 18th century. The breakthrough of the Boulevard de Magenta decided by Haussman led to the destruction of the 17th century gate. When Boulevard Magenta was opened, the church was enlarged by a span and Simon-Claude Constant-Dufeu, applying the principles of unity of style of Viollet-le-Duc, and at the Empress's request, built the current neo-Gothic façade between 1862 and 1865. The entrance span and the spire that covers it were built in 1870.
The church was built as part of a competition organised by the Bishopric of Paris in 1823, with the agreement of the City of Paris. It was won by Hippolyte Lebas. The work took place from 1824 to 1836. The church was consecrated on December 15, 1836 by Monsignor de Quélen. The area known as the Porcherons had begun to be populated at the end of the Ancien Régime. It was then attached to the parish of Saint-Pierre-de-Montmartre. Notre-Dame-de-Lorette is one of the 39 parishes that were instituted by Bishop de Belloy in 1802, but the faithful had to be content with a temporary church until 1823 before the construction of the present building.
The Great Synagogue of Paris was built in 1867-1874 in a neo-Byzantine style. After the war, the synagogue undertook renovations completed in 1967. This synagogue has been classified as a historical monument since 1987.