To honour the relics of Saint Eutropius of Saintes (3rd or 4th century), Benedictine monks founded a monastery in the 9th century and built a two-storey church. The church acquired its Gothic bell tower later in the 15th century (1478-1496). The Benedictine monastery being abolished in 1789, the building became a parish church.
A massive bell tower and a flamboyant portal characterize the exterior of this church, built for the most part in the 15th century. Inside, Gothic unity and simplicity of a decoration confining to skinning.
First women's abbey in Saintonge, the Ladies' Abbey was founded in 1047. These powerful Benedictine moniales printed currency and had a taste for business.