The synagogue in Basel, also known as the Great Synagogue, was built between 1866 and 1869. The synagogue was first enlarged in 1892 with the addition of a second dome, and the building was restored after the Second World War in 1947.
Basel Cathedral was built between 1019 and 1500 in Romanesque and Gothic style. The cathedral obtains its recognizable red colour thanks to the red sandstone used for its construction. The old Catholic church became Protestant during the 16th century.
The Fortified Church of St. Arbogast was founded in the 8th century, and since the 15th century, is completely enclosed by a circular wall. In the 14th and 15th centuries, the border region of Basel is indeed plagued with wars opposing the Habsburgs and the brand-new Swiss confederacy. The church of Muttenz has to potentially serve as a new refuge for the population in the event of future conflicts.