The Ny Church, built between 1150 and 1250, is the youngest of Bornholm's round churches. Like the other churches on the island, it was designed as a typical fortified structure with a wooden roof for defense.
The Østerlars church, built around 1160, is the largest of Bornholm's round defensive churches. The Romanesque church is characteristic of the genre, with its three floors (church floor, shelter floor, defence floor), conical roof, separate bell tower and interior frescoes. In 1955, the building was restored.
The Nylars church, built around 1165, is considered to be the best preserved of Bornholm's four round churches. Its upper floors were used as shelter for villagers and defence, and outside, the reinforced wall can still be seen. In 1882, the interior of the church was renovated.