For a thousand years, Coventry has been a place of pilgrimage where visitors are greeted with a warm welcome, and this continues within Coventry Cathedral today. Combining the evocative ruins of the bombed Cathedral Church of St Michael with the magnificent ‘casket of jewels' designed by Sir Basil Spence, and voted the nation's favourite 20th century building, Coventry Cathedral is a truly inspirational place to visit.
Originally, Notre-Dame de Créteil Cathedral was built by the architect Charles-Gustave Stoskopf and inaugurated in 1976. But the building, too small and too buried in the urban fabric, required an architectural overhaul. Thus, on 20 September 2015, the new, larger and more visible building, created by the Architecture-Studio agency and replacing the old one destroyed in 2013, was inaugurated. The plan was designed as a continuation of the old Stoskopf building.
The second largest community from the Sibiu Chair (former administrative unit) brought important changes to the initial Romanesque church: in the 14th century a polygonal chancel flanked by two side chapels was added and the master-builder Andreas Lapicida coordinated the rising of the side aisles and the substitution of the central nave’s arcades by piers. A late Gothic vault was unfurled over the central nave. The Romanesque western tower was heightened through the annexation of a defence floor, which was later on replaced by the present tower roof. The double defense wall encloses a small outer ward, which was completed on the northern side with a forecourt around 1550. The impressive inner furnishing dates back to the 18th century and is dominated by the richly decorated Baroque altar from 1729. Cristian is one of the first three villages to be repopulated starting with 1756, after the plague had decimated the residents, through the colonization of protestants – Landlers – forcefully sent in from
The bell tower is the only remainder of the former Gothic basilica, which was entirely demolished in 1839 and replaced by today’s neoclassical hall church. A pointed spire and four corner turrets were built on the tower in 1803. Its portal and the rose window originate from an earlier construction phase. Pairs of pillars that support the domical vaults segment the church’s interior. The altar and the pulpit were built at the same time as the church. The assembly is still surrounded by a double deneustadt_i_b2_inschrift1fence wall, which was constructed, enlarged and endowed with nine defence towers across more than three centuries. Only eight towers still stand today. Another remarkable building in Cristan is the neoclassical parish house opposite to the church, as well as the community center from 1926/1927 featuring a curve roof, called „Zollinger roof“ after the name of its inventor.
The neo-classical hall church with chancel and western bell tower was built between 1810 and 1813, after the collapse of the initial construction, first mentioned in documents from 1270. But there is no information concerning the aspect of this former church. It is, though, supposed to have been represented in a drawing on one of the church’s pews, dated 1793. The interior hosts the altar with organ gallery, the pulpit and the font, which were made partially at the same time with the construction itself, but also in 1822. Only the ring wall and four defensive towers are still preserved from the 15th century fortification system, while the fifth tower collapsed in 1925 and was never rebuilt. On the southern side, next to the former kennel, only the ruins of the old Saxon school still exist today.
Found on top of Croagh Patrick Mountain, also known as the Reek, this Calvary church has stunning views over the surrounding landscape. The mountain itself has both a Pagan and Christian history, and is climbed by pilgrims each year on Reek Sunday (the last Sunday in July).
This pretty little church, which is still in use, is well known for the messages etched in the church window by families cleared from the surrounding land in 1845 as part of the infamous Highland clearances.
The Church of Scotland has been active in London since the time of James VI, King of Scots, who became King James I of England in 1603. There is some evidence that courtiers of the King who had followed him from Scotland worshipped in a chapel in the precincts of the old Whitehall Palace. This site became known as Scotland Yard and subsequently housed the original offices of the Metropolitan Police. The current building dates from 1909, but Crown Court Church has been on this site since 1719.
On the western side of the 15th century hall church a bell tower was erected in 1804. The pilasters of the tower show late Baroque features. From the original fortification wall almost nothing survived to this day, but the fence surrounding the yard of the church marks the initial perimeter. The chancel still preserves its original late Gothic ribbed vault, while the paneled ceiling of the hall was replaced early 20th century by a flat plastered ceiling. The most valuable piece of the interior furniture is the pre-reformation winged altar depicting the Passion of Christ. Today this altar is displayed in Sighişoara inside the Hill Church. In the chancel one can admire the late Gothic pews from 1532.
The church in Curciu has remained almost unchanged since its construction in the beginning of the 15th century. The remarkable value of the three-aisle basilica with polygonal chancel lies in its outstanding stone masonry. In the chancel the well preserved mullioned windows with tracery can be admired as well as the typical Gothic windows in the tower. The sculptures ornamenting the portals, tower, windows, buttresses, as well as the capitals, keystones, sedilia and the door of the sacristy date back to around 1427. At the beginning of the 19th century the side aisles were heightened, thus obtaining a cross section of a hall church. At the same time both the main nave and the side aisles were covered with a flat, stuccoed ceiling. The tower’s defence level was demolished and replaced in 1913 by the present, with zinc sheet covered spire. Today the ring wall with the gate tower initially used as entrance, as well as a Gothic chapel integrated in this wall still stands as part of the fortified ensemble.