De Opgang
Radewijk, NL
Initially, the Radewijkers went to church in Hardenberg. However, the minister of Hardenberg believed that the church should go to the people. In 1938, a youth association was founded. After that, church services were occasionally held in the school. It turned out that architect AE Schöne had also made a design for a church around 1948. However, this was never implemented. After the war, around 1950, a barrack from Camp Westerbork was brought to Radewijk and converted into a church. A new church was built in 1970 based on a new design by AE Schöne. This is the current church. The following is stated in "Kerknieuws" of 14 January 1970: "The new church of Radewijk, which was under construction, collapsed some time ago as a result of a heavy storm. The wind did its destructive work so thoroughly that even the foundations were torn from the ground. The wind also had free rein because the church is being built on a hill in the middle of an open field. The opening of the church was to take place in July. It is now hoped that the church will be ready by the end of 1970".