The former Protestant church in Hommertshausen is a baroque half-timbered church built in 1656. In 1956, due to the widening of Schelde-Lahn-Straße, it was moved approximately 2 metres throughout the building, which was an unusual and important achievement at the time.
One of the mightiest defence towers in Transylvania features eight levels and is constructed above the initial chancel of the Romanesque basilica built in Homorod during the 13th century. The tower itself was built in 1550 in the church’s fortification phase, when the chancel was detached from the nave and the smaller western tower continuing the side aisle was flanked by two side constructions. Two defence walls protected the assembly: while the outer exterior had no towers, but an outer bailey, four corner towers strengthened the inner wall. In 1784, under the pressure of a constantly growing community, the church had to be enlarged by building a chancel on the southern side. After the fire in 1792 the church received its valuable late Baroque furniture, the painted flat ceiling, the ornamented galleries and a richly decorated organ altar. The mural painting fragments which are preserved in the chancel present depictions dating back to different eras, varying from 1270 to the late Middle Ages.
Hopperstad stavkirke was built around the year 1130, and it stands on its original site. The church is owned by the Society for the Preservation of Ancient Norwegian Monuments which funded its restoration (1885-1891).
First mentioned in the 12th century, this church used to appear just outside the gates of Innsbruck, as it used to be attached to a hospital. The hospital no longer exists, but the church remains. Its modern appearance comes from the 18th century after being completely renovated and redesigned. It suffered damage during the Second World War and was renewed in the 1960s.
Cited as 'a Norman cathedral in miniature' by Simon Jenkins, the fine Norman church is all that remains of the original 12th century hospital.
The Cathedral of the Holy Spirit is a Gothic brick basilica founded in the 14th century. The church had to be repaired several times, after the Hussite wars (15th century) and after the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648). In 1664, the church became a cathedral by the foundation of a bishopric and was then rebuilt in the Baroque style. In 1864-1876, the church was radically re-gothicised by František Schmoranz.
The synagogue of Hradec Králové, built between 1904 and 1905, is an Art Nouveau building of Moorish inspiration. After the Second World War, the synagogue was briefly reused as a house of prayer for the Jewish community, but for lack of assistance, the building was taken over by the State Scientific Library in 1960. In 2007, the synagogue building was returned to the Jewish community in Prague, which intends to use it in a multifunctional way.
The construction of Huesca Cathedral began at the end of the 13th century and was completed at the beginning of the 16th century. At the time of the construction of the cathedral, Catholic masses were celebrated in the former Wasqa Mosque (dating from the 8th and 11th centuries) of which almost nothing remains. The cathedral was completed in 1511, but it was not until 1539 that the main entrance of the building was completed in the Aragonese style of the 16th century.
At over 700 years old, Hull Minster is as old as Hull itself. Since the 13th Century we have been a constant presence in the city centre and some say the history of the city is literally written in our walls.
This mosque was completed in 1594 and to this day has the highest minaret of any mosque in the Balkans. It was named after Husein Pasha Boljanic, who was born not far from Pljevlja. The mosque contains a low pitched dome, an open porch with three domes, and several rich polychrome motifs on the interior. The minaret was rebuilt after a lightning strike destroyed the original in 1911.