It is thought that the church originated no later than the 9th century, and possibly as early as the 7th century, although there is no mention of the church in the Domesday Book. By 1199 the advowson of the church was owned by West Dereham Abbey. The whole church was completely rebuilt in the 15th century and then restored in 1879-81.
Glastonbury Tor has been a site of religious significance for over 1000 years and is known as being one of the most spiritual sites in the country. As well as its close links to Christianity, its pagan beliefs are still very much celebrated.
St Nectan's church is an exceptional, delightful country church in a wonderfully scenic location. The medieval church is in the hamlet of Stoke, 2 miles to the west of Hartland. The present church was started in 1170 and completely rebuilt in 1360. Its most obvious feature is the eye catching tower, erected around 1420 and standing 128 feet high. It was used as an aid to navigation by sailors along the treacherous North Devon coast.
The church and village is named after St Neot. He died circa 877 and was buried in the church. Around 974 Earl Alfric stole the remains and removed most of them to Eynesbury (now called St Neots) in Huntingdonshire.
It is difficult to believe that this beautiful and well cared for church was neglected for many years. Now, fully repaired and restored, it is considered to be one of the finest small churches in England.
The parish church was built in the 13th century of local limestone, but most of what we can see today is the result of a comprehensive rebuilding in 1865 by architect James Fowler of Louth. Fowler retained much of the medieval stonework, especially the south doorway and north arcade.
St Nicholas church is a Grade II* listed building. It was the first church designed by the architect Nugent Francis Cachemaille Day. In 1931, the foundation stone was laid and the ‘old' hall was built and used for services. In 1932 the building was completed at a cost of Â£11,600. From 1963/64 an extension was added to create choir stalls to the rear of the building.
This quant parish church of St Nicholas holds a wonderful story within its walls. For inside are memorials to two Spanish citizens of the Guevera family who came to England with Katherine of Aragon.
St Nicholas shares a chalk hilltop with the ruins of the castle; both were built soon after the Norman Conquest by William de Braose, a close associate of William the Conqueror.
Some of the earliest evidence of habitation here comes from fragments of Roman settlements. Discoveries from archaeological digs have revealed the remains of a large Roman Villa decorated with well preserved mosaic on the playing grounds of St Laurence School.