Welcome to our quintessential English parish church, surrounded by greenery and lovingly cared for. All Saints has been described as 'the church among the trees' and certainly lives up to visitors expectations!
One of the most important examples of Anglo Saxon in Britain and certainly the largest. The church dates from the late 8th / early 9th century.
The first known reference to the village is in 1070 as Stantona, an enclosed settlement of stoney ground. The Doomsday Book of 1086 refers to Stantune and the name Longstanton was in use in 1282.
Faldingworth, All Saints has been adapted since the 13th century. The Polish Air Force and Royal Air Force served nearby at the former RAF Faldingworth and this is commemorated throughout the church including in a stained glass window and the porch gates.
The All Saints' Church was originally part of the Cistercian monastery of Sedlec, founded in 1142. The church was restored in the early 18th century in Baroque style. When the monastery was abolished in 1784, the building was bought by aristocrats (Schwarzenberg family) who gave the interior of the church its present appearance.
The present church is from about 1400 but there is ample evidence of an earlier 12th century Norman church. The outward appearance is perpendicular but inside is something unique to English parish churches. Described by Nicholas Pevsner as ‘one of the architectural sensations of Cumberland'.
All Souls was completed in 1880 as a memorial to Walter Farquhar Hook, the Vicar of Leeds who was responsible and famous for the growth of Anglicanism in the city. George Gilbert Scott, perhaps the greatest ecclesiastical architect of the time, designed All Souls on a grand scale, having in mind the nave of one of the great Yorkshire abbeys. He died two days after completing his plans, his design being then carried out by his son, John Oldrid Scott.
The Protestant church of Allna is one of the listed half-timbered churches in Hesse. Built in 1782 by Johann Georg Blecher, it is topped by a ridge turret. The west portal is richly carved.
The Alte Nikolaikirche is a Protestant church. The current late Gothic building was built in the 15th century.
Alvastra Monastery is a former Cistercian monastery founded in 1143 by monks from the French monastery of Clairvaux. Together with the monastery of Nydala, it is considered one of the first Cistercian monasteries in the Nordic countries. The monastery was used continuously until the 1530s when monasteries were banned by the Reformation.