The 13th century Romanesque basilica went through numerous transformations throughout its history: the original apse was replaced by the current Gothic polygonal chancel, the southern aisle received a Baroque vault, the central nave was covered with a late Gothic lierne vault in the 15th century. In the 19th century the bell tower with parapet walk was replaced by the current new Gothic one, built in the same time as the sacristy. The oval curtain wall was reinforced with an outer bailey and four defence towers located in the four cardinal points. The northern tower collapsed at the beginning of the 20th century and parts of the ring wall and storage rooms were demolished.
The Alte Nikolaikirche is a Protestant church. The current late Gothic building was built in the 15th century.
Alvastra Monastery is a former Cistercian monastery founded in 1143 by monks from the French monastery of Clairvaux. Together with the monastery of Nydala, it is considered one of the first Cistercian monasteries in the Nordic countries. The monastery was used continuously until the 1530s when monasteries were banned by the Reformation.
Neo-Gothic building built from 1881 to 1884 in a style that reflects the codes of 13th century English architecture, by the architect George-Edmund Street. The bell tower was consecrated in 1923 as a tribute to the Americans who died in the First World War. In the building there are fifty-one flags of the United States of America hanging in the nave.
The construction of the building began on the initiative of Bishop Evrard de Fouilloy (1211-1222), and under the direction of the project manager Robert de Luzarches. The work began with the elevation of the nave and gates in 1220, then the choir in the 1240s. The radiant chapels were completed in 1258 and the choir in 1269. The two south and north towers were completed in 1366 and 1402 respectively.
Benedictine abbey founded in 1168 by a knight. The monastery buildings have just been added between the 13th and 18th centuries. It finally closed in 1781, then served as an agricultural reserve and quarry before being listed in 1915.
The Abbey was built in the 12th century, and additions were made little by little between the 13th and 17th centuries.
The huge 18th century abbey church became the new cathedral of Notre-Dame-et-Saint-Vaast d'Arras in 1804. It replaced the old Gothic cathedral Notre-Dame-en-Cité in the west of the city which was destroyed, and since 1825 the vast monastery buildings of the abbey have housed the Arras Fine Arts Museum.
According to tradition the abbey was founded under the name of Saint-Vincent in 589 by Queen Brunehaut. The abbey has suffered several destructions in its history, the last of which took place in the 19th century.
This abbey was founded in 1138 by the Earl of Pallars, for his own son who became the leader of the abbey. A few years later, the abbey welcomeed Louis VII, on his way to Compostela. The 14th century turned out to be very prosperous for the abbey, which accommodated at this time close to a hundred monks of the order of the Prémontrés. The 15th century saw the decline of the abbey, which experienced a succession of events: the Black Death, the Hundred Years War and then the wars of religion. The Revolution also affected the abbey, which was pillaged, burnt down and finally sold in 1791.