The building was started in the 11th century, but most of it dates from the 12th century. The tympanum was completed in the 12th century. The facade towers were redone during the 19th century. It is also during this period that the bell tower is added to the roof at the junction between the nave and the transept. In 1830, the cloister was demolished.
In 857 the monks of the abbey of Saint-Martial de Limoges founded a monastery at Chambon-sur Voueize to protect the relics of Saint Valérie, of which the monastery of Saint-Martial only keeps the head, from Norman incursions.
Founded in 1118 by Bernard de Clairvaux, the abbey church of Fontenay is one of the oldest preserved Cistercian buildings and one of the most complete. It was built on the plan of the church of Clairvaux, under the influence of Saint Bernard. The construction of the church began in 1139 and was completed in 1147, thus consecrated by Pope Eugene III.
The abbey, which is a true witness to Provençal Romanesque art, was built between the end of the 12th century and the beginning of the 13th on an older site. Classified as a historic monument since 1886,the monastery owes its construction to the powerful Abbey of Saint-Victor.
The abbey of Lérins is an abbey built between the 11th and 14th centuries, then in the 19th century after being closed during the French Revolution. This construction, however, replaced another monastery which existed since the 5th century and was supposedly founded by Honoratus who gave his name to the island.
The Abbey of Our Lady was founded in 1878 on the 11th century "Sainte-Marie" church, associated with a Benedictine monastery. The building was then enlarged in the 16th century, but by the end of the 19th century it had become so worn out that it was not considered possible to renovate it.
The Abbey of St. Gall, called Kloster St. Gall (founded in 719, abolished in 1805), is the oldest monastery in Switzerland. Its Rococo library is one of the most important monastic libraries in the world.
The abbey was built on the Saint-Hilaire chapel dedicated to the first bishop who evangelized the region in the sixth century. The abbey experienced difficulties in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, particularly financial. During the French Revolution, the buildings were sold as national goods.
The Abbey of Santa María la Real de Las Huelgas, is a monastery of Cistercian nuns of San Bernardo. It was founded in 1187 by King Alfonso VIII of Castile and his wife Leonor de Plantagenet. It houses works of great value, including some of the oldest stained glass windows in Spain.
The abbey Saint-Victor of Marseille was founded in the 5th century by Jean Cassien, near the tombs of martyrs of Marseille, among whom Saint Victor of Marseille († in 303 or 304). For more than 1,500 years, Saint-Victor is one of the high places of Catholicism in the south of France, and although the monastery was dismantled at the Revolution, the church is still assigned to worship. The abbey is classified as a historical monument since 1840.