The Evangelic church in Richiş is a special appearance in the landscape of Transylvanian fortified churches, maybe also due to the fact that for a long time a monastic order resided here. During the Protestant reformation, the monks were banished by the villagers, thus being forced to leave the church to the community. The three aisles tower-less basilica was built in the 14th century and was protected with a curtain wall with two defensive towers and battlement walk. It stands out from other similar village churches due to its rich decorations: the funnel-shaped western portal, the pillars and columns with capitals supporting the ribs of the vaults, the keystones decorated with masks, the tracery of the mullioned windows. The doubled triumphal arch testifies that a tower was initially planned to be erected here.
The Riddarholm Church is a church founded around 1300. It was originally built as a Catholic monastery for the Gråbrödrakloster, founded in 1270 and belonging to the Franciscan Order, after being given by King Magnus Ladulås.
Riga Dome is the cathedral of the Latvian Evangelical Lutheran Church. Built in the 13th century, it is the largest medieval church in the Baltic states and a national architectural monument. The former Dome Monastery now houses the Riga History and Navigation Museum (founded in 1773).
The Sainte-Chapelle de Riom is located within the current Law Courts. Built in the 15th century within the last vestige of the castle built by Guy de Dammartin for Duke Jean de Berry in the 14th century.
Ripon Cathedral has a history stretching back almost fourteen centuries. Throughout this time it has offered an unbroken tradition of witness to the Christian faith, both in the city of Ripon and across North Yorkshire.
The Risinge Old Church is a 12th-century church that was enlarged in several stages until the 18th century. It is famous for its frescoes from the early 15th century. The artist behind the paintings is unknown but was called the 'Master of the Elevation' after his best-preserved work.
The fortification in Roadeş consists of the former aisle-less hall church with polygonal chancel and bell tower built in the 14th century. The church was fortified in the 15th century and the tower was surrounded by a massive wall, which enclosed the former open entrance atrium. The chancel and the nave were provided with defence levels on buttresses and loopholes. Sideways a two-level sacristy was built and the tower was heightened by five levels and a defensive platform. Most of the defensive systems of the chancel, nave and the tower were demolished in the 19th century. The church was surrounded by a curtain wall with outer bailey and five defensive towers. Only three of them still stand today. The interior features a late Gothic chancel vault, a partially two-level gallery painted with images of the Roadeş church in its Baroque phase, before the demolition of its defence levels, as well as the 1838 organ. The valuable winged altar from 1533 has been moved to the Saint John’s Church in Sibiu. In February, 2016 it came to a partial collapse of the tower.
Beautifully set in a valley landscaped by ‘Capability' Brown in the 18th century, the most striking feature of this Cistercian abbey is the eastern end of its church, built in the new Gothic style c1170. It has one of the most complete ground plans of any English Cistercian monastery, laid out as excavated foundations.
Notre-Dame-de-Saint-Rémy de Rochefort Abbey, generally known as Rochefort Abbey, is a Trappist abbey founded in 1230, secularized in 1792 during the French Revolution, the abbey was returned to a monastic community in Achel Abbey in 1887. The abbey is known for its brewery, in operation since 1889, and its Trappist beers.
The Rock-hewn Churches of Ivanovo is a complex of small medieval rock churches, chapels and cells, carved at different heights in the cliffs of the picturesque canyon of the river Rusenski Lom. These caves were dug as hermitages during a period running from the 10th century to the 15th century, turning the river valley and its tributaries into a Bulgarian spiritual centre. The Rock-hewn Churches of Ivanovo, with their extremely well-preserved murals, are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.