The Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela was and remains the objective of one of the largest and most important pilgrimage routes in Europe, dedicated to the Apostle Santiago. A building was first built on the supposed tomb of the apostle at the beginning of the 9th century. However, construction of the present Romanesque church began in 1075 and was completed around 1130. This building was then equipped with a baroque facade in the 18th century. Compostela Cathedral was added to UNESCO's World Heritage List in 1985 as part of the Old Town of Santiago de Compostela.
Work on this cathedral began in 1158 and was not completed in its current form until the 16th century. It contains several important works of art from the Hispano - Flemish style, as well as unique metalworks.
The convent of San Domingos is a convent of the Dominican Order built in the 13th century. It was destroyed by the English in 1589 and finally rebuilt in the 17th century in a Baroque style.
The Santo Volto di Gesù Church, built between 2003 and 2006, is one of the most successful examples of modern religious architecture in Rome. The building is based on a project by architects Piero Sartogo and Nathalie Grenon.
The sanctuary and basilica of Loyola is a Baroque religious complex built around the birthplace of Ignacio de Loyola (1491-1556), founder of the Society of Jesus, known as the Jesuit. When, in the 17th century, the tower house where he was born was given to the Jesuits, they began to build a religious complex there. The current sanctuary was built in the 18th and 19th centuries.
The sanctuary of the Consolata, or Church of Santa Maria della Consolazione, is one of the oldest places of worship of Turin. It is now used by the Consolata Missionaries congregation.
There has been a chapel on this site since 1835.
In 1509, when the Dollard flooded once again, the residents decided to move the entire village a mile and a half to the north and the cruciform church was demolished and rebuilt as a hall church. In 1570, the old detached tower was replaced by a new one.
Notre-Dame de Scourmont is a Trappist abbey built in the second half of the 19th century. The priory was founded in 1850 and elevated to the rank of abbey in 1871. In 1863, a brewery was established in the abbey and in 1876, the Trappist monks began to produce hard cheese from the milk from their farm.
The exterior of the church, with its rounded construction and curves is mainly romance. The interior is late-Roman, with dome vaults and brick imitation. The 13th century church was built during the transitional period from Romanesque to Late Romanesque.